It’s going to be a bit more difficult this week, as my pain levels are way way up; I’m struggling to make any headway with my medication, and I am generally feeling pretty desolate. BUT there is always something to be grateful for! Here are my 5:
- Twitter. This week I connected with the fantastic writer Mara Altman (whose memoir, Thanks for Coming, I have just finished reading, and loved every minute). I also had a lovely thrill when Josh Radnor, star of How I Met Your Mother, favourited my Tweet about his film, Liberal Arts. It really is a gorgeous, heartwarming film (featuring lots of gorgeous books!), and I’m chuffed he let me know that he saw my comment on how much I enjoyed it!
- Good books. I am juggling a few at the moment: I devoured Thanks for Coming (see above) as research for my novel, I’m halfway through The Taxidermist’s Daughter, and I’m listening to The Hobbit on audiobook. Last week I also finished Yes Please! by Amy Poehler*, which was a great empowering read about how women shouldn’t apologise for pursuing their skills, especially if they’re in a male-dominated environment. I could include so many tasty quotes here, but I won’t. I recommend you read it for yourself though!
- Mulled wine tea from Whittards. Like hot Ribena, but better.
- Nice smelling candles. One of the best things about Autumn. Cinnamon in the living room, vanilla in the bedroom, berry in the writing shed…
- Clean, hot water on tap (literally!). It’s so easy to take the basics for granted. I know there are some spoonies out there who struggle to even have a pain-free shower, but I’m blessed that showers and baths are some of my only opportunities for respite and relaxation. The pain is 24/7 but hot water seems to diffuse the sensation and helps me breathe slower. Thank you, God, that I can enjoy clean running water. May everyone enjoy this soon soon soon.
Wishing you all a lovely relaxing weekend, and plenty of spoons for the week ahead xxx